Become a Blue Lakes Supporter.
EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A STAKE IN THE HEALTH OF THEIR LAKE
An Ecolabel of Stewardship Excellence
Blue Lakes is a rewarding voluntary program that sustains lake health today and for future generations. Achieving Blue Lake status has the potential to improve property values while preserving nature’s gifts. It is your opportunity to have an impact and cultivate a caring community.
Blue lakes is an eco-label program that provides a template for action and education. It is a label and a portfolio of tools, resources, and activities that can be tailored to your lake’s needs. The label also comes with access to real-time data about your lake.
The Blue Lakes eco-label is provided in recognition of your commitment to stewardship and education. The label is not provided because of a lake’s environmental conditions, but instead as a testament to your care.
Keeping Lakes Healthy
The Blue Lakes database helps you record data in areas of water quality, fisheries, and shoreline development on your lake.
The Blue Lakes program is a cooperative platform. Your input and that of scientists and partners will enable you to track historical and current trends on your lake.
We are building the elements of this program. We hope to launch in 2021-22.
If you wish to be part of the Steering Committee and build capacity to launch the Blue Lakes Program, contact us at 705-457-1222
The Blue Lakes Label comes with a database
The Blue Lakes database can accommodate data for any and all types of lakes across Ontario and beyond. For the testing to date we have focused on Lake Trout lakes. The following data is in our Blue Lakes database (where lake data has been available):
- Lake Trout Lakes
- Other Fish species
- Fish Stocking for Environmental Reasons (OMNRF determinations)
- Basin shoreline development/unnatural shorelines 2017 (circumference at 10m accuracy- not individual properties- privacy recognized)
- Lake Partner Data (Phosphurous, secchi depth) over 10 years and where available
- Water Quality data (Dissolved oxygen, temperature)
- Mean Volume Hypolimnion Dissovled Oxygen Levels (capacity levels)
- Historic and current lake profiles (where available and uploaded)
Compatible data (the database can accept and process):
- All other fisheries
- Love Your Lake data (with permissions)
- Lake profiles
- Angling Diaries
- Angling Effort
- Benthics/spawning habitats
- Natural Edge program data
- chemical sampling
- TDS, TSS
- Invasive spp. data
- Biological data (contaminants)
Trends that can be derived where data is sufficient:
- Changes in area volume of anoxia
- Changes in natural shoreline levels
- Changes in water quality/eutrophication
- and more….
Find out more
Better yet, give us a call or email
The Land Between Charity. Box 1368, Haliburton, ON K0M 1S0, ca
We tested the need for the Blue Lakes Program in 2017 with the support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation. See our results